Skip to Main Content

Undergraduate Admissions

International Transfer Students (Continuing University Study)

International students who have studied at the university level outside of the United States should apply to UMBC for international transfer admission.

Application Requirements

Before an admission decision is given and an I-20 issued, you must meet all of the following application requirements. The Admissions Committee evaluates transfer applicants on the basis of their academic record at previous university or college-level institutions. Cumulative grade point average, performance trends, strength of curriculum and performance in courses related to the intended area of study are considered.

Transfer applicants must be eligible to return to their most recent institution. For transfer applicants with fewer than 30 college-level credits (less than one year of full-time study), your high school record will also be required.

Please submit an official or attested copy of your college or university academic record showing courses and grades received; mark sheets; examination certificates; and/or leaving certificate, as appropriate for the country's educational system. All documents must be translated in English and notarized. Translations must be as literal as possible, with no attempt to translate information into the U.S. educational system.

Candidates for transfer admission must submit the following:

  1. A completed UMBC Undergraduate Admissions Application
    Apply Online (Spring 2018 and beyond)
  2. A $50 nonrefundable application fee.
  3. Official or attested transcript(s) from each college or university attended and any “A” level certificate. Transcripts should be mailed directly to UMBC from the registrar of each institution.
  4. All students interested in majoring in the visual and performing arts have additional admission requirements.
  5. A final transcript must be sent upon completion of any course work in progress.
  6. Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation. Students who have attended a post-secondary institution, such as a college or university, outside the United States must have a course-by-course credentials evaluation through:

    Educational Perspectives

    Foreign Credentials Service of America

  7. All non-native English speakers must submit official test scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Integrity is a value at UMBC. As such, applicants are expected to represent their self in the most true and accurate way. Learn more about academic integrity at UMBC.

In addition to your college or university transcripts, if you have received less than 30 credits submit the following:

  • Official certificates of completion of state/national secondary school examinations.
  • An official or attested high school transcript or marksheet or “O” level certificate for applicants with fewer than 30 college-level credits.

Additional Required Documents:

  • A photocopy of your passport.
  • Funding documents:
    • A letter of support (you may use the form provided) from your parents or financial sponsor to the effect that he or she is willing and able to provide U.S.$40,000 for each year of study;
    • A notarized bank statement that verifies that the individual(s) providing your support has the U.S. $40,000 on deposit.
  • Photocopies of both your current F-1 visa I-20 and your I-94 (for students currently studying in the U.S.).