UMBC Programs at Shady Grove
UMBC offers eligible transfer students the opportunity to earn a bachelor's degree in history, political science, psychology or social work at the Universities at Shady Grove. Students spend the equivalent of two years at a community college and the final two years at the Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville, MD. UMBC is one of nine University System of Maryland institutions that offer upper-level undergraduate programs at the center. For more information, visit www.umbc.edu/shadygrove.
Degree Paths for Shady Grove Transfer Students
UMBC-Shady Grove welcomes transfer students and enjoys strong partnerships with Maryland's two-year colleges. Please visit the ARTSYS Website to learn more about recommended transfer programs.
To assist with transfer planning, please note that Suggested Transfer Pathway planning guides are currently available to Frederick Community College and Montgomery College students and advisers. To access these planning guides, please visit www.umbc.edu/shadygrove, click on undergraduate program of interest, and then Preparing to Transfer.
How to Apply for Transfer Admission
- Complete the Common Application in its entirety.
- Indicate your interest in Shady Grove within the "Academics" tab of the "My Colleges" dashboard under UMBC.
- Complete the residency questions. This information is located in the Member Questions section for applicants seeking in- state residency for tuition purposes.
- Submit the Common Application and $50 non-refundable application fee. You must submit the above sections for UMBC to receive your Common Application. Prior to the deadline, make sure that there are green “complete” checkmarks under the application in your “My Colleges” dashboard under UMBC, and click submit.
- Request an official transcript. Official transcripts from each college or university attended are required. You must request a transcript from each institution you attended. The registrar may send us your transcripts electronically or they may mail a transcript to our office.
- Ask for letters of recommendation (optional). Once designated by the applicant, recommenders may submit recommendations electronically through the Common Application. A maximum of two recommendations, based upon the order in which they are received, will be reviewed in the evaluation process.
- Applicants applying to the Honors College. Transfer students may also apply for admission to UMBC’s Honors College. Students in the Honors College obtain a rich liberal arts experience through honors classes and seminars and enhanced opportunities for research. Please make sure to answer “Yes” to the Honors College question located in the Academics Section of the Member Screen and complete the additional required writing supplement. *Honors College courses are not available at the Shady Grove campus.
*Honors College courses are not available at the Shady Grove campus.
- Send us an official final high school transcript (optional). If wanting to demonstrate previous course proficiency in a foreign language based upon high school coursework, please submit a final high school transcript. Required for applicants with less than 30 college credits.
- Submit any additional application materials. All supporting documents not submitted electronically can be sent to our office at the address below:
UMBC Office of Undergraduate Admissions
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
See: Transfer Student Application Timeline