Skip to Main Content

Undergraduate Admissions

Application Requirements for Transfer Students

The Admissions Committee evaluates transfer applicants on the basis of their academic record at previous institutions. Cumulative grade point average, performance trends, strength of curriculum and performance in courses related to the intended area of study are considered. For more resources particular to transfer student visits, credit transfer, and more, please visit our Transfer Student Resources page.

How to Apply for Transfer Admission

  1. Complete the Common Application in its entirety.
    Apply Online
  2. Complete the residency questions located in the Member Questions section for applicants seeking in-state residency for tuition purposes.
  3. Submit the Common Application and pay the nonrefundable $50 application fee. You must submit the above sections for UMBC to receive your Common Application. Prior to the deadline, make sure that there are green “complete” checkmarks under the application in your “My Colleges” dashboard under UMBC. The fee can be submitted via credit card or e-check.
  4. Send us your transcripts. Official transcripts from each college or university attended are required. Transcripts should be sent electronically to UMBC (or mailed to the address below) from the registrar of each institution.
    UMBC Office of Undergraduate Admissions
    1000 Hilltop Circle
    Baltimore, MD 21250
  5. Send us any letters of recommendation (optional) or additional application materials. All supporting documents not submitted electronically can be sent to our office at the address below.
  6. Applicants applying to the Honors College please make sure to answer “Yes” to the Honors College question located in the Academics Section of the Member Screen and complete the additional writing supplement.
  7. Send us a final transcript. A final transcript must be sent upon completion of your current coursework.
    UMBC Office of Undergraduate Admissions
    1000 Hilltop Circle
    Baltimore, MD 21250

Transfer students with fewer than 30 college credits

  • High school transcript. Request an official copy of your transcript sent to UMBC from your high school.
  • Standardized test scores. If you graduated high school within the past three years, you must have the appropriate testing agency send us your results from the SAT I or the ACT. The UMBC College Board code is 5835, and UMBC's ACT code is 1751.

Additional Requirements for Visual and Performing Arts Majors
Application Timeline
Transfer Credit Policies