Transfer Student Alliance
UMBC at the Universities at Shady Grove (USG) in Rockville, Maryland provides you the best of both worlds: Our reputation.Your backyard. USG is a consortium of nine universities within the University System of Maryland, conveniently located in Montgomery County, a Washington D.C. suburb close to many government agencies, contractors and major healthcare organizations. UMBC, a public honors university, is among the institutions at USG. Offering bachelor degrees in History, Political Science, Psychology, and Social Work for transfer students as well as graduate degrees in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Geographic Information Systems, Cybersecurity and Biotechnology, UMBC-Shady Grove is ready to help you achieve your goals.
Learn more about the program benefits, requirements and how to apply:
The Transfer Student Alliance (TSA) offers eligible students who intend to earn their bachelor’s degree at UMBC upon completion of their associate’s degree at AACC, CCBC, MC or PGCC the opportunity to benefit from joint programmatic efforts, shared resources and other privileges while still enrolled at AACC, CCBC, MC or PGCC. Upon successful completion of the program and initiation of transfer to UMBC, eligible students will be guaranteed admission with a scholarship.
PROGRAM BENEFITS AT UMBC’S SHADY GROVE CAMPUS IN ROCKVILLE, MD:
- Access to UMBC-Shady Grove facilities and campus services, including the library and computer laboratories
- Ability to participate in student activities and cultural opportunities
- Priority access to Pre-Transfer Advising
- Priority access to earliest Transfer Orientation and Course Selection Day
- Concurrent enrollment at a 25 percent tuition discount for one UMBC course per semester (not to exceed a total of three discounted courses). Please see below for a list of suggested courses for your program of interest (course pre-requisites must be fulfilled prior to enrollment):
- History: Please see Program Director for course suggestions. Students are encouraged to consider any 300-level history course.
- Political Science: Please see Program Director for course suggestions.
- Psychology: PSYC393 (offered fall), PSYC308 (offered spring), PSYC356 (offered spring)
- Social Work: SOWK240, SOWK388
Upon successful completion of the program requirements, TSA participants at UMBC's Shady Grove campus in Rockville, MD receive:
- Guaranteed transfer admission to UMBC-Shady Grove
- $50 application fee waiver
- A $1,500 merit scholarship for each of two years of full-time study. This award can be accepted with other UMBC merit award offers.
- Completion of an associate’s degree at AACC, CCBC, MC or PGCC with a minimum cumulative 3.5 composite-GPA within four years of initial TSA program qualification.
- Enrollment at UMBC within one year of completion of the associate’s degree.
- Not matriculated at any other institution of higher education after program acceptance.
Submission of completed application materials for undergraduate admissions by March 1 for Fall semester consideration and October 15 for spring.
Frequently Asked Questions about TSA
How to Apply
The TSA Program is intended for students in their first year of study at AACC, CCBC, MC or PGCC. Students who have successfully passed and completed less than 30 college credits at the time of application are eligible to apply. Applications for the TSA program should be submitted by the posted deadlines. For participation in the program benefits (access to facilities, advising resources, campus events and reduced-tuition courses), submit a TSA application by the following dates:
- Students who anticipate having at least 12 credits and a cumulative 3.2 GPA by the end of the current semester should apply by January 1 to participate in program benefits for the following spring semester, or by May 1 for the following fall semester.
To Learn More about the TSA Program, Please Contact:
Assistant Director for Transfer Student Recruitment, Admissions and Partnerships
Anne Arundel Community College Contact:
Anne Arundel Community College
Community College or Baltimore County Contact:
Nicole (Najla) Zampino Zairi
The Community College of Baltimore County
Montgomery College Contacts:
Montgomery College - Takoma Park
Takoma Avenue & Fenton Street
Takoma Park, MD 20912
Prince George’s Community College Contact:
Vannetta Veronica Alford
Manager of Articulation and Transfer
Prince George's Community College
Student Development Services
Prince George's Community College