International Transfer

(Continuing University Study)

International students who have studied at the university level of the United States should apply to UMBC for transfer admission. U.S. citizens or permanent residents should follow the instructions below, but do not need to provide financial support documentation. Students currently on an F-1 visa or planning to apply for an F-1 student visa to attend UMBC should complete all of the following steps.

Application Requirements

Before an admission decision is given and an I-20 issued, you must meet all of the following application requirements. The Admissions Committee evaluates transfer applicants on the basis of their academic record at previous university or college-level institutions. Cumulative grade point average, performance trends, strength of curriculum and performance in courses related to the intended area of study are considered.

Transfer applicants must be eligible to return to their most recent institution. For transfer applicants with fewer than 30 college-level credits (less than one year of full-time study), your high school record will also be required.

Please submit an official or attested copy of your college or university academic record showing courses and grades received; mark sheets; examination results; and/or leaving results, as appropriate for the country’s educational system. All documents must be translated in English and notarized. Translations must be as literal as possible, with no attempt to translate information into the U.S. educational system.

Candidates for transfer admission must submit the following:

  1. A completed UMBC Undergraduate Admissions Application
    Apply (Fall 2021 only) – Applications for fall 2021 can be mailed to our office or emailed to Deposit checks should be mailed to our office.
    Apply Online (Spring 2022 and beyond)
  2. A $75 nonrefundable application fee.
  3. Official or attested transcript(s) from each college or university attended and any “A” level certificate. Transcripts should be electronically sent to or mailed directly to UMBC from the registrar of each institution.
  4. A final transcript must be sent upon completion of any course work in progress.
  5. Students who have attended a post-secondary institution, such as a college or university, outside the United States must also submit a course-by-course credentials evaluation through one of these evaluation services:

    Education Credential Evaluators

    Educational Perspectives

    Foreign Credentials Service of America

    World Education Services

    All non-native English speakers must submit official English Proficiency Test results from one of the following. Official score reports should be sent electronically to UMBC. Score recommended for admission is listed:

See Exceptions to the English Proficiency Requirement here.

Integrity is a value at UMBC. As such, applicants are expected to represent their self in the most true and accurate way. Learn more about academic integrity at UMBC.

In addition to your college or university transcripts, if you have received less than 30 credits submit the following:

  • Official certificates of completion of state/national secondary school examinations.
  • An official or attested high school transcript or marksheet or “O” level certificate.

Explore UMBC’s International Education Services website for more information about applying for an F1 Visa after you are admitted.

Scroll to Top