Transfer Admission to UMBC as an International Student

Transfer Admission to UMBC as an International Student

You’re an international student if you will need a non-immigrant visa to study and live in the United States. Students who have completed college-level coursework at an institution of higher education after receiving a high school/secondary diploma, GED, or otherwise satisfactorily completing high school/secondary school education may apply for Transfer admission to UMBC.

How We Evaluate Your Application

We evaluate your transfer application on the basis of your academic record at previous institutions. Cumulative grade point average as calculated by UMBC, academic trends, strength of curriculum, and performance in courses related to the intended area of study are considered.

Complete the Common App

Your first stop is the Common App. Please be sure to complete it in its entirety. 

Common App’s 2023-24 transfer application cycle is ending soon. After July 29 at 5:00 p.m. ET, in progress applications will no longer be available and applicants will no longer be able to submit the Fall 2024 application through the Common App portal. At that time, a fillable PDF version of the application will be available here and required for applicants interested in attending UMBC in Fall 2024.

  • Applying to the Honors College? Be sure to answer “Yes” to the Honors College question located in the Academics Section of the Member Screen and complete the additional required writing supplement.
  • Be sure to plan and write your essay. This helps us get to know you.
  • Pay your $75 non-refundable application fee and make sure that there are green “complete” check marks under the application in your “My Colleges” dashboard under UMBC, and then hit “submit”!

Check out this guide from the Common App on how to prepare for your application.

Request Application Items from Third-Party Sources

As you prepare to submit your Common App, there are some additional items you’ll want to gather. 

Official Transcripts


Request official transcripts from each college or university you have attended.
Transcripts should be sent directly from the institution to UMBC after your application is submitted.

Official Final High School/Secondary School Transcript


If If you’re applying to transfer to UMBC and you have less than 30 college credits, you are required to submit your high school/secondary school transcripts to demonstrate that you meet our required minimum course of study.

International Transcripts


 If you have attended a postsecondary institution, such as a college or university, outside the United States, submit course by course credentials evaluated through one of the following evaluation services. 

Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

Submit Evidence of Official English Proficiency


International students are required to verify English proficiency unless meeting requirements for a qualified exception. Test results should be submitted electronically to UMBC.

Verification of Foreign Language Proficiency


UMBC students must complete a language sequence through the 201 level or demonstrate proficiency at that level. To demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language based upon high school coursework, please submit a final high school transcript.

Standardized Test Scores


If you graduated high school/secondary school in the U.S. within the past three years, you may have the appropriate testing agency send us your results from the SAT I or the ACT. The UMBC College Board code is 5835, and UMBC’s ACT code is 175.

Letters of Recommendation


You can designate up to two recommenders through the Common App–recommenders then submit their letters through the Common App. Your letters of recommendation will be reviewed in the order they are received.

Program Specific Considerations as you Apply

Students interested in applying to the programs below should review the additional considerations associated with each as they may impact your ability to transfer into your intended program or complete your degree in a timely manner.

If you’re interested in studying music, visual arts, theatre, or dance at UMBC, please note that there may be some additional steps for entry into the program, ranging from additional applications to portfolio submission and live auditions.

Transfer students who apply for admission to UMBC and select Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Engineering Undecided, or Computer Science as their desired major will have their transcripts evaluated by the College of Engineering and Information Technology to determine program eligibility. Learn more about the eligibility review and gateway requirements needed to progress into the program.

UMBC at The Universities at Shady Grove is located in Rockville, MD with seven undergraduate programs in Computer Science, History, Mechanical Engineering, Political Science, Psychology, Social Work, and Translational Life Science Technology. Explore the programs to find the Required and Recommended Prerequisites.

Join a close-knit community of scholars through one of our scholars programs.

Upcoming Application Deadlines


Fall Enrollment Application Deadlines

Priority Admission to UMBC Honors College Priority Admission
Regular Admission to UMBC Honors College Regular Admission

Spring Enrollment Application Deadlines

Priority Admission to UMBC Honors College Priority Admission
Regular Admission to UMBC Honors College Regular Admission

Sending Something via Mail? 

All supporting documents not submitted electronically can be sent to our office at:

UMBC Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Orientation
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250

UMBC at the Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville, MD

Programs at UMBC’s Shady Grove campus continue to expand and welcome students transferring in from other institutions.

Counselor Spotlight

Our team of counselors can guide you through questions about what to study, what it’s like to be a Retriever, and even the basics of financing your education. Explore our list of counselors below and find the person who works with students from your area, whether that’s Prince George’s County, Maryland; Arizona; or across the globe.

Lori Smith-Watson

Assistant Director, International