Returning Students

Should I Seek Reinstatement or Readmission?

If you left UMBC and your cumulative GPA was below 2.0, whether you were on academic probation or academic suspension, you must apply for reinstatement in order to enroll again at UMBC.  

Students who left UMBC in good academic standing (cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher) may apply for readmission.

If you are uncertain of your status, please email us at

How We Evaluate Applications for Reinstatement

All applications for reinstatement are reviewed by the Academic Actions and Reinstatement Committee, who makes decisions on a rolling basis. Early application is highly recommended.

Reinstatement to UMBC is not automatic, although former students who have earned a solid record at another institution, including at least 12 academic credits with a 2.5+ GPA, are usually good candidates. Careful consideration is also given to your personal statement submitted as part of the Academic Plan of Action and to the advisor recommendation. Your prior academic history at UMBC is relevant to the decision. Suggestions for reinstatement applicants are available here.

How Do I Apply for Reinstatement?

Candidates for reinstatement must submit the following:

  • A completed UMBC Undergraduate Reinstatement Application 
  • $50 non-refundable application fee
  • A written statement explaining the circumstances leading to your poor academic standing and offering a proposed plan of action signed by your academic advisor to remedy past academic deficiencies. A list of academic advisors can be found here.
  • Official transcripts from all schools attended since your last enrollment at UMBC
  • Additional pertinent information may be submitted at your discretion, such as medical documents and letters of recommendation
  • All university debts must be settled by the appropriate deadlines

Upcoming Application Deadlines


Fall Enrollment Application Deadline

Application for Reinstatement to UMBC Due

Spring Enrollment Application Deadline

Application for Reinstatement to UMBC Due

Sending Something via Snail Mail?

All supporting documents not submitted electronically can be sent to our office at:

UMBC Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Orientation
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250